Sunday, June 26, 2016

Flood of June 23, 2016

  The flooding here in southern West Virginia is hard to explain to those who aren't here.  I have been very fortunate.  I have lost no loved ones or belongings.  The worst thing that happened to me was the power going out for less than a day.  My food was still cold in the refrigerator, and I had a grill to cook on.  When I look around in and out of my home nothing has changed.  But like hurricane Katrina, my heart hurts for those who have been so greatly affected.  
     Some may think that since the death toll and homes destroyed number much lower than 9/11 and Katrina that it isn't as big a deal.  Yes, lots more was taken, but there was also much more to take.  To our small towns and communities, this happened just as quickly and was just as scary.  People are dead, some will probably never be found.  Rescuers could only watch as people floated away just out of reach.  They will forever feel guilty for something that was never their fault.  The families of the deceased will wonder what they could have done, and how their loved ones suffered.  This will affect us for years to come, and we will tell our grandchildren about this day.  
     The great thing about us, though, is that we are not strangers to physical work.  We are country people,  we pick up sticks and limbs just to mow the grass every week.  We know how to use a chainsaw and everyone either has a pickup or knows a guy who does.  We fix our own plumbing and cars.  We know how to repair a leaky roof, and we have friends and family who are willing to help - for a cold beer.  We are strong, we are knowledgeable, we are capable, and we are lucky to be mountaineers.  We will help one another and we will literally pick up the pieces and put them back together the best we can.  
      I have tons of videos and pictures to share, and I don't know for sure who took them, hopefully no one will be upset if I don't give them credit.  I also can't really tell where most of these were taken.  With so many coming in and being reposted its hard to keep things straight.  This post will be images during the flooding, and I will have another showing the aftermath.  Thousands more pictures just like these can be found online, without repeating.
   

























































































    



<script type='text/javascript' src='http://api.worldnow.com/feed/v3.0/widgets/184850?alt=js&contextaffiliate=726'></script>

No comments:

Post a Comment