Sunday, July 24, 2016

#staystrongWV

Photo by Melinda Hannah
     Today I wanted to thank some special people. Together they raised over $8,000 to help the victims of the devastating floods just a few weeks ago.  Lewisburg native, Brandon Baker, is the one who originally came up with the idea - and he never thought it would be such a success!  
    
 In his own words:
     "When I first got the idea to design wrist bands for the flood victims, I was riding in the back of mom and dad's truck on the way back from the beach.  My donation goal was 600 dollars.  I thought if I could donate 600 dollars I would feel very accomplished.  Then, they took off to say the least.
      They are in 13 or 14 different states, in the WVU athletic department and all over West Virginia.
     This isn't an exact number because I'm still owed a little bit of money, but I'm very pleased to announce that with everyone's help that purchased even just one wrist band, I have over $8000.00 to distribute to the flood victims.  Yes,  eight THOUSAND.
 
Brandon Baker

     I hope everyone understands how AWESOME that is for something that costs 3 dollars.
      Each and every one of you that bought one deserves to be personally thanked so THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH!!! It was all of you that made this possible." 

     He goes on to say:
     "Also, everybody keeps thanking me and I greatly appreciate it, bit it was not just me.  I just came up with the plan, but without the following people helping just out of the goodness of their heart while receiving nothing, this would not have been possible."    



Mara Davis
Project Supervisor
Tammy Metrick McManus
Delivered to Beckley and sold a ton to others.
Cathy Crews
Sold in Union
Debbie Jamie Daniels
Sold in Marlinton.
Caleb Aram Davis
Worked the table at Kroger.
Brenna Baker
Worked the table at Kroger.
Sherry Napier Baker
Helped keep money straight and did all shipping orders.
Dad Baker
For putting up with us. 
     "Also, a special thanks to [below] for their help getting them to the people on the western side of the county."
Sam Bevins
and

Chrissy Hunter

The little table that could.

     I would personally like to thank everyone who has helped in the aftermath of this disaster.  Much was lost, but I believe we've also found something profound - faith in humanity.  

We are West Virginia STRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment